Danny Aponte, IPS’ Senior Director of Software Engineering & IT, presented at the Trends in Global Privacy Laws seminar at NYIT’s De Seversky Mansion in New York on Thursday, November 15th.
Danny shared IPS’ experience in addressing data privacy issues faced by customers across all industries. He recommended best-practices for all employees across an organization and how to minimize the risk of data security breaches.
About the Event:
The seminar organized by the U.S. Department of Commerce discussed how Long Island exporters may be impacted by new data protection regulations and privacy laws in Europe and Canada.
The seminar included presentations by Long Island exporters sharing the processes and data protection tools they have put in place, best practices for compliance plans, and how to turn new privacy regulations into a business advantage.
An expert panel then discussed different angles of privacy laws including:
- The EU’s recently announced General Data Privacy Rules (GDPR);
- Canada’s federal privacy laws;
- Available mechanisms to comply with data protection requirements when transferring personal data such as the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework; and
- How to find trustworthy business partners and opportunities overseas.
The seminar included keynote Mark Viola, Henry Schein’s first Chief Information Security Officer responsible for the Company’s global cybersecurity program.
In addition to Danny, the expert panel featured:
- James. M. Black from Silverman Acampora LLP focusing on the European Union’s recently announced General Data Privacy Regulation (GDPR);
- Michelle Sylvester-Jose, Policy Advisor at the U.S. Department of Commerce’s International Trade Administration focusing on Canada’s federal privacy laws and the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework, which helps companies comply with data protection requirements when transferring personal data;
- Marisel Trespalacios, International Trade Specialist at the U.S. Commercial Service, discussing how Long Island companies can find trustworthy business partners and opportunities overseas.